Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hospital Volunteer Orientation

So today I had orientation for volunteering. I had to sign a few more agreements and go through the orientation on the computer office power point regarding the policies and procedures of the hospital. Kind of reminded me of my normal job I had in the past, except this one was more thorough in safety and such. I learned about the different hospital codes, I thought those were interesting.

For example Code Pink (my favorite color) meant "Infant Abduction", Code Red meant "Fire", Code Blue meant "Medical Emergency" and Code Purple (my daughters favorite color) meant "Stroke".  Plus there were over half dozen more different codes to know. I thought that was neat. :D

I also got a list of the work I will be doing, which I will be in the medical/Surgical Dept working almost the same kind of work as a CNA (which is what I requested) so its perfect Im doing this. 

I forgot to mention the perks of being a Hospital Volunteer:
1) 4 Parties a year for volunteers
2) Free lunch on shift
3) Christmas Gifts
4) Uniform

and more I am not aware of Im sure and my 2 bonuses getting the experience and getting out of the house! :D

Working or even Volunteering in a hospital requires a lot of interpersonal skills, which I have.  I am so happy I chose to volunteer at the hospital around the same time I am getting my CNA Certificate. Because for example, as much as I do not care for vaccines or the flu shot and did not have my previous childhood records, the employee health nurse asked me if I was going into healthcare and I said yes said I will need it ALL the time working as a CNA regarding employment and such.I will get the experience as well I need for when I become a CNA.

I really was worried about getting the flu shot because last year when my mother, who is an over the road truck driver was on the road working, after being home and visiting her doctor and received the flu shot and kept the same medication routine as always ended up paralyzed and in the hospital in PA. But I figure its part of the territory and if I want to work around elders, sick people and people with disabilities then this is a sacrifice I am going to have to make.

Now the last step to volunteering is having another meeting to get my badge, uniform and tour of the hospital and my 2nd tb test (idk why I need another, the lab didnt know when I had to get more blood withdrawn so she told me to ask my head nurse in HR). I should "crossing my fingers" start next week! :D

Next week I also have a meeting with DWS about getting my funding for my CNA classes in April. I still need a BP Cuff & Stethoscope.

SOOOOOO EXCITED!!! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment