Wednesday, March 19, 2014

1st Day Volunteering at the Hospital

Today was my first day volunteering at the hospital and I LOVED IT!

I work in the med/surg dept the first thing I did this morning was restock the linen closets with towels, blankets, sheets. There were maybe 10 linen closets total. I did it all by hand, no roller cart to assist or anything, I just carried things from the storage room and then to each linen closet to restock the item. It took me around 2 hours to do it.

Then, I made sure that all the rooms had enough  small, medium and large gloves in all sizes and replaced boxes that were nearly empty.

After I was finished I made room kits for new patients which included all the toiletries they would need during their stay at the hospital, I remember getting one when I went to the hospital 2 years ago. Each shelf needed only 2 and there were 8 shelves but just because they could not find much for me to do I added an extra bag onto each shelf.

Once I was done, they really had nothing for me to do and so I killed my last hour in the break room and spoke to housekeeping. Since I am moving into this field I like to know what roles everyone has in a hospital and such.

 So finally, since I worked a 4 hour shift, I was able to get a free lunch at the hospital cafe. Since they were out of the chicken salad crossiant I decided to have the Thai Peanut Shrimp with white rice, peanut sauce and added rooster sauce to make it a little bit more spicy and a rootbeer to drink, then signed off as a volunteer and ate some of my lunch there and then went to run errands before I got my daughter from school.

When I first got there I wasnt sure about the attitude of the nurses or staff. Then they warmed up to me since I was helping them out a lot with getting things ready for new patients. Normally no one wants to work in the med/surg dept of the hospital but I did and do ;) I do prefer working on my feet vs an office customer service type job I had before.

I also have a meeting next week about the funding for my CNA classes. YAY! :D Cant wait to volunteer next week too!






No comments:

Post a Comment